J-1 Visa

The J-1 visas are designed for exchange students, interns and scholars who want to enter the United States for studies.

How to Apply

Complete the Online Visa Application

  • Online Non immigrant Visa Application
  • Photo –You will upload your photo while completing the online Forms.
  • Schedule an Interview: You may schedule your interview at any U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your home country.


  • Possess a valid passport
  • Attend the school/institution accepted that you were authorized by USCIS.
  • Registered full-time for each academic year.
  • Maintain good academic position
  • File for a Program Extension prior to the expiration date of your DS-2019 if additional time is needed to complete your program.
  • Get work permit or authorization before starting employment.

Required Documents to Re-Enter the U.S. after a visit to the home country or any other county.


  • Valid Passport with J-1 visa in the passport
  • Renewed visa if the current visa is expired
  • Valid I-20 with travel signature on page 3

What you should know before your trip:

Once you have all the necessary document and your visa, it is important to consider things like a looking for a safe place to stay, getting visitor health insurance, considering your commute, getting a bank account, and anything else you might need while you are abroad.

Click here for more information about J-1 visa, requirements, important documents, and application forms.