Temporary worker visa

Working | India Network Immigration and Information|

Temporary work visas are for foreign citizens who want to enter the United States for employment that will last for a fixed period of time. Work visas require the prospective employer to file a petition with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and get the approval from both before applying for a visa.

Temporary worker visa categories

  • H-1B : This is issued to people who work in a specialty occupation.
  • H-1B1 : Issued to people who wish to work in a specialty occupation. Requires a post-secondary degree involving at least four years of study in the field of specialization.
  • H-2A: For temporary or seasonal agricultural work. Limited to citizens or nationals of designated countries, with limited exceptions, if determined to be in the United States interest.
  • H-3: To receive training, other than graduate medical or academic, that is not available in the trainee’s home country or practical training programs in the education of children with mental, physical, or emotional disabilities.
  • L: To work at a branch, parent, affiliate, or subsidiary of the current employer in a managerial or executive capacity, or in a position requiring specialized knowledge.
  • O: For persons with extraordinary ability or achievement in the sciences, arts, education, business, athletics, or extraordinary recognized achievements in the motion picture and television fields, demonstrated by sustained national or international acclaim, to work in their field of expertise.
  • P-1: To perform at a specific athletic competition as an athlete or as a member of an entertainment group
  • P-2: For artists or entertainers (Individual or Group)
  • P-3: To perform, teach or coach under a program that is culturally unique or a traditional ethnic, folk, cultural, musical, theatrical, or artistic performance or presentation.
  • Q-1: For practical training and employment and for sharing of the history, culture, and traditions of your home country through participation in an international cultural exchange program.

Complete The Online Visa Application

  • Online Non immigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160
  • Photo –You will upload your photo while completing the online Form.

Schedule an Interview

You must schedule an appointment for your visa interview at any U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your country.

Prepare for your Interview

  •  $190 Fees – Pay the non-refundable visa application fee
  • L visa applicants must also pay the Fraud Prevention and Detection fee and may need to pay the Border Security Act fee.

Required documents before visa interview:

  • Passport
  • Non immigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160 confirmation page.
  • Application fee payment receipt
  • Photo
  • Receipt Number for your approved petition as it appears on your Petition for a Non immigrant Worker, Form I-129, or Notice of Action, and Form I-797 from USCIS.

Additional Documentation:

All visa applicants, except H-1B and L, need to demonstrate the intent to return to the home country after a temporary stay in the United States. Examples of compelling proof include:

  • A residence abroad which you do not intend to abandon
  • Your family relationships
  • Your economic situation
  • Your long term plans
  • Your businesses, properties, and/or job in your home country

What you should know before your trip:

It is advised that all visitors get health insurance for new and existing conditions, accidents, and death (funeral and repatriation benefits). Below are some of great insurance policies underwritten by CHUBB American Insurance Company.

Click here for more information about temporary worker visa requirements, important documents, and application forms.