Change of Address Information – What Every Immigrant and Some Group of Citizens Must Do

Most non-U.S. citizens must report a change of address within 10 days of moving within the United States or its territories. Exceptions include:

  • Diplomats (visa status A),
  • Official government representatives to an international organization (visa status G), and
  • Certain nonimmigrants who do not possess a visa and who are in the U.S. for less than 30 days.

If you are not a U.S. citizen, and do not belong to one of the three excepted groups listed above, please go to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website to get more information.

If you live in the U.S., you need to have a Visitor Health Insurance. Go to this website to learn why it’s important to have a Visitor Health Insurance. Here you can compare and buy Visitors Health Insurance Plans offered by India Network Services.

Completing the process online:

  • You can change your address online and update your address on pending applications and petitions at the same time using our Online Change of Address system.
  • The Online Change of Address system will first prompt you to complete Form AR-11 electronically.
  • Once you complete Form AR-11, the system will prompt you to complete the second step and update your address on any pending or recently approved applications and petitions.
  • If you have outstanding applications or petitions and do not complete this second step, you will still need to update your address by calling 1-800-375-5283 or by returning to the online system at a later time. For TTY (deaf or hard of hearing) call: 1-800-767-1833.
  • NOTE: If you previously filed a VAWA-based Form I-360, Form I-914, Application for T nonimmigrant Status (“T visa”), Form I-918, Petition for U nonimmigrant Status (“U visa”), Form I-765V, Application for Employment Authorization for Abused Nonimmigrant Spouse, Form I-485 for an abused spouse under the Cuban Adjustment Act, or a waiver of the Form I-751 joint filing requirement because you and/or your conditional resident child

Additional Information

The address reporting requirement should not be confused with renewal or replacement of lawful permanent resident cards (Form I-551) or replacement of other evidence of alien registration, such as the Form I-94, Arrival-Departure Record; I-186, Nonresident Mexican Border Crossing Card; I-688, Temporary Resident Card; or, I-766, Employment Authorization Document.


All non-U.S. citizens (aliens) who are required to be registered are also required to keep the USCIS informed of their current address. This is particularly important when you have filed an application or petition for a benefit under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) and expect notification of a decision on that application, petition, or request. In addition, the USCIS may need to contact you to provide other issued documents or return original copies of evidence you submitted.

Where Can I Find The Law?

The INA is a law that governs immigration in the United States. For the part of the law concerning reporting of your address and for the penalties if you do not comply, please see INA Parts 265 and 266. The specific requirements for reporting your change of address are federal regulations found in 8 CFR Part 265 and 8 CFR Section 264.1(f)(6), concerning designated special registrants.

Penalties for Failure to Comply

A willful failure to give written notice to the USCIS of a change of address within 10 days of moving to the new address is a misdemeanor crime. If convicted, you (or the parent or legal guardian of an alien under 14 years of age who is required to give notice) can be fined up to $200 or imprisoned up to 30 days, or both. The alien may also be subject to removal from the United States. (INA Section 266(b)). Compliance with the requirement to notify the USCIS of any address changes is also a condition of your stay in the United States. Failure to comply could also jeopardize your ability to obtain a future visa or other immigration benefit.

Please go to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website to read more.

Always remember to change your address and to get a Visitor Health Insurance. That will help you during any medical emergencies. On this page you can compare and apply for Visitor Health Insurance plans offered by India Network Services.

India Network Services is a US-based company that administers visitor health insurance to tourists, students, temporary workers and their families. Visitor medical plans are offered for all age groups (0-99 years old) with both fixed coverage, comprehensive coverage and with pre-existing condition coverage.

Please visit this page to get a quote of Visitor Health Insurance Plans offered by India Network Services.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *